Friday, October 1, 2010

Axis wound taken on September 29th, 2010

The picture pretty much sums up the progress of the wound as of today. Less pain now. I am now finally on the upswing of my recovery. You can still see the squares from the skin graph on the inside of the wound. The depth has decreased from 3 and 1/2 centimeters. to now .5 centimeters.
The nurses and surgeon are amazed at the rate of healing and recovery. I have to admit that when I originally saw my wound, I was sure it would take months to recover to this extent. The graph wound is getting better but has been more painful that the axis wound. The adaptix bandage is finally gone. the wound is now scabbed, itchy and peeling. I still cannot wear anything except skirts and dresses. Finally yesterday I made it to half of my sons football game. I overdid it. I thought I was recovered enough to make the attempt and the nurses gave me the thumbs up as they understood for weeks now that it was my only goal. I have missed every game since this process began. The car drive and maybe two hours away took a serious toll on me. I even said on the way home that I just wanted to cry. It really gave me a reality check. The nurse and therapist who came to see me today was not surprised that I am paying a price for the decision to go to that game. Even just half of the game. I am proud that I made it. I feel defeated that I was wrong about my own progress.

1 comment:

  1. Hello, just found your blog! Thanks for posting! I just went out of hospital after lancing and cleaning in both axilla and groin area, and now with high probability would do the skin graft - the other type of operation than you did (from the area below armit). I had more severe hs as i can see from your pics, the cuts after surgery were 6,3 and 6,7 cm in both axilla.

    Would be great if you could give an update upon your treatment.
    P.s. the skin was removed with laser or with cold steel surgery?

    ReplyDelete