Thursday, September 9, 2010

Finally surgery was done.

My surgery was rescheduled for September 1st, 2010. Again I mentally prepared myself.
We packed a bag and off to the hospital to check in  at 6 a.m. again after fasting for another 24 hours. I found myself again in a gown on a gurney with I.V.'s of gatoraid (or close to that) and antibiotics flowing through my veins. I spoke with the anesthesiologist and all set to go. After my third hour I was informed that my surgeon had an emergency and my surgery will be late. After my fourth hour waiting I was informed that the surgery will be rescheduled due to my doctors emergencies that came up that day. I was there for six hours. They took the I.V.'s out. I got dressed and now had another week of dread for yet another scheduled surgery.
I almost chickened out. Remember the pictures and experiences that I had read of testimonials before me. I could not believe that I had CHOSEN to go through the pain and risks that I would endure for this surgery and still be brave enough to decide to carry on.
I could only recall the days when my disease made my life unbearable and no one could understand. I just want an end to the suffering even though I knew it meant a lot of pain to endure for what I was told in the beginning.... near 15 days.
Finally, I went to Samaritan North on September 8th, 2010 surgery that was finally performed!
The surgeon said that he is opting to do only my left arm due to the amount of pain and risks of infection. I will have to come back for surgery on the right arm after healing.
Although I was looking forward to getting it all done and over at once, I am now VERY happy about his decision. The pain is nearly intolerable!
I have Home health care nurses now that will come daily. They will take off my bandaging( painful) Unpack the open wound (more painful!) and repack the open wound ( I thought I may pass out each time!) Then they would be back again tomorrow to do the same thing.
I now realize that there are several types of pain.
There is a constant burning pain as if it is on fire. There is surging pain that pierces through the wound only occasionally. There is a dulling (my favorite) pain that lets you feel the pain but feels also numb. AND THEN..... there is the pain that I feel when the nurse unpacks and repacks the wound!
I have no words to describe that pain. I can only say that I get hot,things turn dark and hazy and my mind wants to erase what is happening.
The nurse is a home health care nurse and I already know that these woman are wonderful angel's sent to me by amazing fate!
As usual I find Lori very tolerant, understanding and comforting through this whole process.
Here are some gory details and pictures.
Warning! The images and descriptions of what you are about to see are "graphic" and not for intended for viewing by young children and the squeamish!
It is funny now that I feel like I should come with a warning label!
The open wound measures 13 centimeters wide, 6.5 centimeters long, and 3 centimeters deep.
The measurements and pictures are very important to evaluate the healing process.

No comments:

Post a Comment